FC-4 -- unhappy experiences

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Jun 17 19:51:38 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:

>> I upgrade rather than install because I do not have great confidence
>> that the installation will work.
>> Eg no installation has worked on a SCSI only machine since Redhat-9.
>
> Since I install on SCSI-only machines all the time, this is clearly not
> true.

Did you really misunderstand me?
Let me remove any ambiguity:
no Fedora installation has ever worked on _my_ SCSI only machine.
The fact that they work on your SCSI only machine is interesting,
but irrelevant.

I give some details of my machine below.
I have tried all the "official" Fedora kernels,
and all of them have led to panics.
I always compile a kernel with built-in SCSI
(rather than as a module).

If anyone can tell me a magic formula to boot with a Fedora kernel
I shall be very grateful.

Program:   Unicore BIOS Agent Version 1.8
BIOS Date: 07/16/99
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID:   07/16/99-i440BX-P2B
BIOS Eval: ASUS P2B-LS ACPI BIOS Revision 1010
Chipset:   Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
Superio:   Winbond 977TF rev 0 found at port 3F0h

Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366