FC4 desktop sluggish on same hardware?

Chip Turner cturner at pattern.net
Sat Jun 18 10:26:50 UTC 2005

Steve Snyder <swsnyder at insightbb.com> writes:

> I installed FC4 yesterday, and I find the desktop behavior to be a little
> sluggish compared to FC3.
>
> I did a clean install, formatting my previous (FC3) partitions and
> installing FC4.  After the installation completed successfully, I
> installed the current set of updates via YUM.  No problems seen.
>
> This machine is a 1000MHz Pentium3, with 512MB of RAM, a 40GB ATA hard
> disk, and a GeForce2 Ultra video card.  Hardly state of the art, but I'm
> seeting generally sluggish behavior on my KDE desktop even doing trivial
> things like navigating menus and opening terminal windows.
>
> On installation, the only difference in choices versus the prior FC3
> install was to opt for SELinux=warn, where I had it disabled altogether
> in FC3.  The KDE desktop and Xorg configurations were the same in FC3 as
> my current FC4.
>
> Anyone else care to comment on the relative desktop performance on FC4?

I'm DEFINITELY noticing sluggish behavior in all X apps.  My hardware
is fairly modern (AMD64 3200, though only an nvidia geforce4 4200).
I've observed the same problem both with the X.org nv driver and
nvidia's binary-only driver.  The box itself is quite fast otherwise,
but something in X definitely is amiss.  I'm also running in
x86_64 mode; I suspect it is a universal issue.

Chip

Chip Turner                   cturner at pattern.net