FC-4 -- unhappy experiences

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jun 18 16:31:41 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 01:35:19PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> You say you have installed Fedora on a Vaio picturebook without problem -
>> which picturebook, and which CD reader did you use?
>
> A friend's C1VN -- that was FC1, though. Used the Sony DVD drive.

OK, that should be the same as the C1VE/C1VFK , I think.

>> Did you have to give the prompt above?

It's possible I did get FC-1 to see the CD drive that way.
As I recall, I tried every possible combination
of ide1=0x180,0x386, ide2=0x180,0x386, text, pci=off, noprobe, nopcmcia
and I did finally get a combination that worked.
But I couldn't get it to work with FC-2, FC-3 or FC-4.

However, I had no problem installing FC-2 and FC-3
(and various test distributions) from hard disk.
FC-4 is the first time this has failed.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366