Newcomer to Fedora

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Sun Jun 19 06:55:31 UTC 2005

On Saturday 18 June 2005 17:11, Ben Steeves wrote:
> On 6/18/05, Gábor Iglói <mdjake at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Fedora users,
> >
> > My name is Gábor Iglói.
> >
> > I've read about the latest release of Fedora Core 4 and after
> > reviewing the release notes I liked the idea of it and gave it a try.
>
> Welcome aboard!
>
> > I have prior Linux experience but I never worked with an rpm-based
> > distro.
> >
> > Would you please recommend me some official/stable rpm repos to start
> > with? And in Fedora is yum.conf the right place to pick up repos?
>
> Extras is the only "official" FC repo that I know of.  You can also
> mix-in rpm.livna.org to get things that cannot be shipped in FC, like
> mp3 support and DivX codecs.
>
> The correct place to put a repo definition is in /etc/yum.repos.d/ --
> the exact contents of the file vary for every repo, of course, and you
> can find the proper configuration file on the repo's website, usually.

There should be 5 repos listed there, only 3 of which are enabled by default
(the others being development which in no longer valid in the final FC4). In
addition to extras there are updates and base.

> > Anyway can you recommend me some good documentation/website for
> > newcomers? Maybe some getting started with Fedora guide for a
> > middle-experienced Linux user?
>
> This is a good jumping off point: http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/

You might also look at:
	http://www.fedoraproject.org/  and  http://www.fedoraforum.org/
> --
> Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
>  The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
>    against HTML e-mail          X                GPG ID: 0xB3EBF1D9
> http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves

HTH,
Tom
--