FC4 Screensaver - Works when manaully started, not working otherwise

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Sun Jun 19 17:27:44 UTC 2005

Marc Schwartz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since installing FC4 last week, I cannot seem to get the screensavers to
> work after the time delay configured. By default, I just use the blank
> screen saver.
>
> It works when I manually lock the screen, but not otherwise.
>
> Trying some of the screen savers manually from the menu, I can run each
> of the ones that I try, including the GL savers.
>
> HW is a Dell 5150 laptop, running in dual-display, non-xinerama mode.
> The graphics card is a nVidia GeForce FX Go5200. I have tried both the
> nVidia 7174 and 7664 installers as well as the Livna 7174 RPMs.
>
> I am using the same xorg.conf that I created for FC3.
>
> The xscreensaver daemon is running.
>
> This was a clean install of FC4, not an upgrade.
>
> I have not seen other posts on this and checking Bugzilla comes up
> empty. I also checked the nVidia forums and nothing there.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this, either on nVidia based systems or others?
>
> Any thoughts?

Sorry to reply to my own post here, but two more data points:

1. If I drop to single display mode, still using the nVidia driver, the
screensaver does kick in after the configured delay.

2. If I run dual-display with the nVidia driver, but with a single
screen spanning the two monitors, rather than independent screens on
each monitor, the screensaver kicks in after the configured delay.

So this behavior would appear to specific to the dual-display with
independent screens mode of operation.

As stated, I am using the same xorg.conf as I had under FC3, which
worked fine with respect to the screensavers until FC4.

Was there a change in the xorg.conf? I don't see anything in the release
notes on this.

Thanks again,

Marc