FC4: DVD DMA on Dell Notebook?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jun 20 13:48:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 04:18, Schlueri wrote:
> On a Dell Inspiron 9300 i'm unable to play dvd, because the dma is not
> enabled. I think i'll run into problems if i try to burn cd/dvd.
>
> Try to set dma with hdparm gives me the following error:
>
> # hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc
>
> /dev/hdc:
>  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>  using_dma    =  0 (off)
>

> I found this:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=279310#post279310
>
> Is this the only way to enable dvd dma or can i just set an kernel
> option on boot?

I had a problem getting DMA enabled on a DVD burner a while back.  This
was on an Asus P5GD2 deluxe motherboard.  I found there was an option in
the bios that needed to be changed in order to allow DMA to be enabled.

This may not work for all systems as this was specific to this
motherboard but it may be a place to look.

Prior to changing that option I was getting the same types of errors
when trying to enable DMA.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

He had occasional flashes of silence that made his conversation perfectly
delightful.
		-- Sydney Smith