Driver needed for USR 5610B - Solved

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Jun 21 12:52:07 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 00:27, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> If it is a "real" modem or a serial modem, then you
> may use wvdial to find the ttyS* try from a terminal
> # wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
>
> Then edit the file wvdial.conf to conform to your ISP.
>  Configure IP and DNS servers if you have to and you
> should be on your way to a successful connection.
>
> You can also use KPPP and try to query the modem till
> you find the one that is the one.

Thanks to all who replied. None of your suggestions worked, but they gave me
ideas which led to a solution. On my machine, a "kudzu -p" detected my modem
as ttyS14. Nowhere was this device configurable in any of the utilities
suggested. I tried creating a symbolic link between ttyS14 and modem,
however, and that worked!
ln -s ttyS14 modem
ran the above while in the /dev directory

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA