Where to mount "miscellaneous" filesystems?

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 14:50:27 UTC 2005

I have several filesystems that I used to put at /mnt/...  Since that's
now frowned upon, but they're not removable media, I can't figure out
where I'm supposed to put the darn things.  Here's how I used to do it:

   /mnt/share    FAT32 filesystem for data shared with Windows.

   /mnt/boot     Shared RAID-1 device for kernels and initrd's.  Each
                 Linux installation has a symlink such as:

                   Fedora Core 3:  /boot --> /mnt/boot/fc3_boot
                   RHEL 4:         /boot --> /mnt/boot/rhel4_boot

   /mnt/video    200GB RAID-0 device for streaming video.

The FHS is great at telling me where not to put them, but silent on the
issue of where they actually belong.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net