New to Linux - Filesystem formatting.

Slawomir Siejka otsoa at gazeta.pl
Thu Jun 23 08:32:20 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 01:40:06AM +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> > What format is that partition? fat can be resized, but ext cannot -
>
> I wonder what the resize2fs command does, then....

Man resize2fs:

"The resize2fs program does not manipulate the size of partitions. If
you wish to enlarge a filesystem, you must first make sure you can
expand the size of the underlying partition first. This can be done
using fdisk(8) by deleting the partition and recreating it with a larger
size. When recreating the partition, make sure you create it with the
same starting disk cylinder as before! Otherwise, the resize operation
will certainly not work, and you may lose your entire filesystem."

Slawek

--
SÅ‚awomir Siejka
[otsoa at gazeta.pl][siejka at zuk.iz.uj.edu.pl]

--
Dodawaj ZA DARMO ogÿoszenia do Aaaby.pl i Gazety Stoÿecznej: Dla dziecka, Fotografia, Hobby, Ksiÿÿki, Odzieÿ, RTV i AGD, Meble, Telefony
http://www.aaaby.pl