Another FC4 installation problem

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Jun 23 23:05:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 08:40:45PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 6/23/05, M A Young <m.a.young at durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >

> I think that I managed to format the entire drive in fdisk, but the
> problem persists. I thought that I had erased hda2, but it still
> complains.

fdisk does not format drives.

> What is the fool-proof way of formating an old hard disk before install?

You should not need to format (low level format, i.e. lay down track
and sector information on the medium) your hard drive. Ever.

What you probaably want to do is clobber the partition table so you
can start over.

* Use fdisk and delete one partition at a time untill you've deleted
  all of them.

* Use dd to write 0s to the partition table. Something like this
  should do it:

  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=2 ; sync

Do this from some other linux, like a floppy distribution
(e.g. tomsrtbt) or a live CD distribution.