Screensavers for FC4?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jun 23 23:31:17 UTC 2005

Bart Kalita wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 22:54 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:

>>.xscreensaver is a hidden file. Did you use nautilus to look for the
>>file? It would not be displayed if hidden files were not unhid.
>>
>>Try this:
>>Open a terminal from Applications --> System Tools Terminal. A terminal
>>should open.
>>In the terminal type the below at the prompt.
>>rm .xscreensaver
>>xscreensaver-demo
>>
>>When the screen saver comes up, you should be at the default settings.
>>Your previous settings will not be there.  Set them to your liking and
>>then close down the application. If there still is not all of the
>>screensavers displayed, list the output of installed programs.
>>
>>in the terminal, type the below and report back what the output to the
>>terminal is.
>>rpm -qa | grep xscreensaver
>>I get the output below:
>>xscreensaver-gl-extras-4.21-4
>>xscreensaver-extras-4.21-4
>>xscreensaver-base-4.21-4
>>
>>I'm just trying to be complete. I added the additional steps to be safe.
>>
>>Jim
>>

>>--
>> "I've finally learned what `upward compatible' means.	It means we
>>  get to keep all our old mistakes."
>> -- Dennie van Tassel
>>

>[bart at nemesis ~]$ rm .xscreensaver
>[bart at nemesis ~]$ xscreensaver-demo
>xscreensaver-demo: 06:50:01: realpath /home/bart/.xscreensaver: No such
>file or directory
>xscreensaver-demo: 06:50:01: realpath /home/bart/.xscreensaver: No such
>file or directory
>[bart at nemesis ~]$
>
>No Change
>
>All the rpms removed with --nodeps option .xscreensaver file removed and
>files reinstalled via yum, reboot, no change in the screensaver list but
>xscreensaver-demo works and selected screensaver starts without locking
>the screen with the password.
>
>now everything works just fine.
>
>but there is still no full list of screensavers when looked at form:
>right click desktop, configure desktop, screen saver.
>
>anyway, thanx for all your help.

I just had to try this to be sure. I renamed .xscreensaver to
.xscreensaver.backup - Then ran xscreensaver-demo to test this out. I
then checked the home directory after closing down the demo.

 ~]$ ls .xscre*
.xscreensaver  .xscreensaver.backup

Ah! you are using KDE.

I just tried kde (The New Login feature is great for multiple GUIs. w/
multiple desktops)

Anyway, Once KDE loaded, I did as you described and then clicked on the
setup button. A screen came up where you had checkmarks to allow extra
screensvers and gl-extras.

They were both checked when I opened up setup.

I use GNOME mostly, it comes in handy having several installed for these
type of tests.

Did you click on the setup button?

Jim