Browsers for those IE-only sites

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 21:48:54 UTC 2005

On 6/25/05, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
> Again, the standards are for the Internet, not just english version of
> the Internet.  They are just being lazy.

I was refering to the selection of English sites. If an
English-language website refuses to use compliant code, then chances
are that there will be a competing site that does. We don't have that
selection. The opposite- it seems that all the Israeli sites use the
same Microsoft technology to author the site. Am I supposed to tell
the entire industry to switch tools because there is one idiot in
Haifa that won't let his wife use Windows?

> Any decent webmaster will know how to use the validator.  If they
> don't then in my book they cannot be a decent webmaster.

They may not be decent- but they are state-of-the-industry. That is
the state of the industry here.

> OOo 2.0 seems to be much better at this point.  In fact better than
> between different versions of MS Office.  Heck because of problems
> between MS Office, many around work here either use OOo or LaTex.
> Depending on here studies, then standard compliance should be
> important.  Point the professor to OASIS.
>    http://www.oasis-open.org/home/index.php

I just tried to open a .doc that I got in the mail today from a
catering company. Unreadable in Writer 1.9: I can't even see letters.
I disk-on-keyed it to the XP box and it looked just like it was, well,
just as if it was written for that program! That may be because it was
in hebrew. But I'm not going to tell every company to send me their
proposals in this-or-that format. Then I'd be no better than Ety's
professor!

> I find that strange.  I have to do some work on a Windows XP pro
> machine and I find that it is so very slow.  The machines are the same.

I just installed FC4 this morning, and have not yet added one single
program, except for the yum update. And here I type in Gmail, faster
than the letters can appear on the screen. It's like typing on telnet.
This was a fresh install, no update. AMD Duron, 512mb ram. I flip the
KVM over to the P4, 256mb ram WinXP box and have no problem typing. I
think that the letters appear before I raise my finger from the key.

> If you want to make it easy just run update via cron.  All done.  I
> don't but it takes only a few minutes to do it and it doesn't
> interfere with work.  Not like Winodws that requires reboots with
> almost everything.  I hate rebooting.  My 8 yr old can even make
> changes to her desktop and stuff.  This is self taught.

If he's learning it for the first time- then yes. If he's relearning
from a windows background, then that's something else.

> My father uses a program for ham radio work.  There are Linux boxes
> put in sites that have not had human access for over a year.  They are
> still working.

Yeah, I hate the reset-crap. I just had a bad experience with that
stupid XP box deciding to update itself and then reset itself at 4 in
the morning while I was downloadeding FC4 on it in my sleep- it reset
itself while two of the disks were at 638mb and 626mb from a total of
640mb!!! I couldn't restart the transfers.... AAGGGHHH!!!!

> Attaching to a cable modem can be a headache depending on teh
> provider.  My mother-in-law requires a stupid program to connect and
> that is a problem.  Again I will give you credit here as the ISP
> probably provided a disk to setup the computer.  Put in and the
> software is installed and configured.  Mention Linux to them and they
> sound as stunded as a deer in headlights.

Here's where I found a way to make a difference- I switched ISP's when
I installed FC3. My ISP said that they don't support Linux, I said
goodbye. I called all (three) of the local ISP's and made it clear
that I don't want a month free and I don't want a ballon. I want tech
support for linux. I found one, thankfully.

> Robin Laing

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/273/jackson_michael.php
Michael Jackson Song Lyrics