hotplug fstab-sync question

Thilo Glatzel iwakubocho at web.de
Fri Jun 24 22:22:37 UTC 2005

Hi list,

I installed FC4 and I'm quite happy about it, but... I'm fighting
already for days with my external FW-HD with a NTFS file system (beside
several other things which are not solved jet...). After connecting it
is recognized and automatically mounted to /media/maxtor. A nice icon
appears on the Gnome desktop. But as a user I have no access rights to
the folder. As root no problem. First I thought this could be a problem
of udev, so I wrote a new udev rule

BUS=="scsi", SYSFS{model}=="OneTouch", SYMLINK="maxtor", MODE="0666"

That works nice, I have now a device called /dev/maxtor, I can mount it
as a user but I still have no access to the folder.

The next step was checking the fstab, I found the entry

/dev/sdd1  /media/maxtor  ntfs
pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0

which is created automatically by fstab-sync. I could not figure out how
to setup up fstab-sync to generate an appropriate fstab entry which
allows users to access the folders or to change the automatically
generated mount points. For example

/dev/hdb1  /windows/e  ntfs  pamconsole,ro,defaults,umask=0222	0 0

which works fine for my other static HD

Some suggestions, ideas, hints????

Thanks

Thilo