fedora-list Digest, Vol 16, Issue 287

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Sun Jun 26 02:05:02 UTC 2005

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 11
> Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:39:13 +0200
> From: Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>
> Subject: Re: Connecting 2 computers to the internet
> To: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>,	For users of Fedora Core
> 	releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> Am Sa, den 25.06.2005 schrieb Dotan Cohen um 17:16:
>
> > Thanks, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. The FC4 box has an
> > onboard network connection (going to the winXP box with a crossover
> > cable) and a NIC going to the modem. I got a little stuck on
> > configuring the FC4 box because I wanted it to be the
> middle man. But
> > it looks as if I'm going to have to do it with the winXP
> box because I
> > can't get the winXP box online through the Fedora box. Tomorrow I'll
> > put the spare NIC in the winXP box and try it as the middle man.
> >
> > If anybody on-list has gotten this to work successfully, then PLEASE
> > share your setup with me! IPtables scripts a must!!! I
> don't want the
> > winXP box as the middle man because I don't want to turn it
> on all the
> > time...
> >
> > Dotan
>
> http://fedoranews.org/ghenry/gateway-non-ppp/
>
> That article - and his predecessor
> http://fedoranews.org/ghenry/gateway/
> -  should be helpful. Two points are typical pitfalls for
> beginners: the
> Linux host must forward traffic between his 2 devices. This is calle
> ip_forward and is to be set on (1) in /etc/sysctl.conf. The
> other point
> is that the client(s) behind the gateway host must be able to resolve
> hostnames. So they either have to have in their network setup
> knowledge
> about the ISP's DNS addresses or if the gateway acts as a
> local caching
> nameserver, they have to use his IP as DNS address.
>
> Alexander

Dotan:  Alexander's advice is (as usual) on point and it should help you.
Also the computer behind the "middle man" has to either have his own IP
address, or the "middle man" has to do address translation for him.  To have
both computers "live" on the Internet, your ISP should have given you two IP
addresses.  If you don't have unique IP's for each one, the "middle man"
will have to assign an address to the other computer and translate addresses
-- serve as a NAT router.

If you use XP's Internet Connection Sharing, it's going to do this for you.
It's possibly the quickest way home for you.  But NAT is the big reason why
others have suggested the "4-port router" option.

Erik