ldap auth with nss_ldap on FC4

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Mon Jun 27 00:21:50 UTC 2005

Uno Engborg wrote:
> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>>
>> You normally don't need it, so I'd suggest that you use the included
>> config tools to set up a working client configuration, and then decide
>> whether or not you have a need for that option.
>
> If you do that, the passwd command will not work, at least not for root.

I did that, and I can change any user's password as root, including the
root user.

> If I do "passwd uengborg" as root I get:
>
> Enter login(LDAP) password:
> New UNIX password:
> Retype Unix password:
> LDAP password information update failed: Can't contact LDAP server
>
> passwd: Permission denied

[root at herald ~]# passwd gordon
Changing password for user gordon.
Enter login(LDAP) password:
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
LDAP password information changed for gordon
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.