lvm problem

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Mon Jun 27 14:17:55 UTC 2005

Hi,

Somehow, my /boot/grub/grub.conf file was hosed at the end of last week and
before I could write a new one, there was a power-outage and my machine reset.

I can mount the drive if I use RIP linux and after doing that, wrote a new
grub.conf file.

When I reboot, I'm getting the following

Red Hat nash version 4.2.16 starting
  Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
  Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
  /etc/lvm/backup: fsync failed: Invalid argument
  2 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active
mkrootdev: label / not found
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
ERROR opening /dev/console!!!: 2
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
switchroot: mount failed: 22

If I remove root=LABEL=/ from the boot line, I get the same and if I say
selinux=0, the boot still fails at the same point.

The HD is working happily and can be mounted and everything (more or less)
accessible if I mount when booting with RIPlinux.

TTFN

Paul