OT: someone know about engines?

Thomas W. Cranston cranston_tom at asapchoice.com
Mon Jun 27 23:14:00 UTC 2005

Andy Pieters wrote:

>Hi
>
>I know this is OT, but I can't find a suitable place to ask.
>
>We have this two stroke engine and we forgot to mix in the 2stroke oil in the
>gas.
>
>Now it doesn't work anymore but what did actually break?  I took (almost)
>everything appart; air filter, spark plug, carburetor.  The only thing I
>didn't was open the cylinder.
>
>Anybody have any ideas?
>

>With kind regards
>

>Andy

My Guess is that the piston is seized in the cylinder, or worse, the
connecting rod is seized to the crankshaft.

remove the sparkplug

place the engine so that the cylinder is in an upright position.

pour in the best penetrating oil you can get. I reccommed LPS.

Let the oil penetrate for a long time. a day if possible.

Then attempt to rotate the crankshaft by any means possible. You might
have to apply a wrench to the output shaft.

The engine should start if you can get it to rotate freely. It will not
last as long as it should, as the cylinder will be scored, and gasses
will bypass the rings.