yum - lack of features

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue Jun 28 12:14:37 UTC 2005

Hi

>My impression is that this is - or was? - rather dangerous.

Yum prompts before adding or removing packages unless you override it
with a switch in the command line or the configuration file.

>Doesn't "yum remove <pkg>" also remove any packages which require <pkg>,
>which may be rather a lot?
>
>I tried the above once, and got in a mess;
>"yum install" was not a straightforward inverse of "yum remove".

Reverse depending tracking is not really a straightfoward thing since
they are not explicitly defined. However yum should be able to figure it
out and give you the entire listing of dependencies for any given package

regards
Rahul