Internet slow starting speed

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Jun 28 17:07:32 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 28.06.2005 schrieb Jacques-Andre Boulay um 18:34:

> I'm experiencing a problem when using my web browser (firefox, opera or
> konqueror) or my mail client (evolution): the internet initiating
> process is very slow.  For example, each time I enter a new url in
> firefox, its take a lot of time (7-8 sec) to load the new webpage.  On
> the other side, when I'm downloading a big file with it, the download
> speed is normal (in comparaison with windows xp) after the completion of
> the initiating process is done.
>
> Somebody have an idea of what I could do to solve this problem?  I know
> that rebuilding the kernel should help but is there other ways to solve
> it?

Why should a recompiled kernel help if you have not any indication what
the problem is caused from?

> JA

I guess it is the known problem with IPv6 being active. In /etc/modprobe
set

# Turn off IPv6
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

and then reboot and see if that helps.

Another thing to check is that /etc/hosts is proper and contains a valid
localhost line and an entry for your chosen hostname.

Alexander

Serendipity 19:03:41 up 3 days, 1:55, load average: 0.54, 0.21, 0.14