gcj and Suns jdk on fc4

Olaf Mueller daily-planet at istari.de
Tue Jun 28 19:06:08 UTC 2005

Hello,

what is the best way to use libgcj-4.0.0-8 and jdk-1_5_0_04-linux-i586
from Sun on the same fc4 system?
Is it to leave the already installed gcj on fc4 untouched and simply
installing Suns rpm too, which then will be installed
under /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_04? Or is there a better way on using gcj and
Suns jdk side by side on fc4?

I have to learn the java language for my study and I will do this with
gcj, but I also have to use Java Swing and therefor I thing I have to
use Suns jdk1.5.0_04. So before making a mistake and breaking
dependences on my fc4 system, I hope someone will explain me how to
manage this in proper style.

Another question is should I use a /etc/yum.repos.d/jpackage.repo file
with mirrorlist=http://www.jpackage.org/jpackage_fedora-4.txt in it to
update my java packages under fc4 or is this update process done by
the already installed /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora*.repo files?

thanks
Olaf