Dialup -tabla rasa

Thomas W. Cranston cranston_tom at asapchoice.com
Tue Jun 28 20:17:47 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Thomas W. Cranston wrote:
>
>> Below are the edited settings. Modem, Baud, SetVolume,
>> FlowControl, Username,  Password, Phone. are now set as they need to
>> be. These Settings work when I use Damm Small Linux.
>>

>> Modem = /dev/ttyS4 Baud = 115200
>

> Make sure that you have a line:
>
> [Dialer Defaults]
>
> before the "Modem" line and that Modem= and Baud= are on separate lines.
>
>> SetVolume = 4
>> Dial Command = ATDT
>> Init1 = ATZ
>> Init3 = ATM1L4
>> FlowControl = CRTSCTS
>> [Dialer choicenet]
>> Username = "my username"
>> Password = "my password"
>> Phone = xxxxxxx
>> Stupid Mode = 1
>> Init1 = ATZ
>> Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=1 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
>> Inherits = Modem0
>

> This "Inherits = Modem0" may also be confusing things. Try commenting
> it out.
>
> Paul.

Hi

I went over my notes and discovered that they were not as complete as
needed to be. As a result I decided to reinstall FC3, and get a fresh start.

I first used the network configuration application to configure the
dialup. This time the modem came up as ttyS4.

I got mesage:Cannot activate network device xxxxxxxx Failed to activate
xxxxxxx with error 8

Logged on yyyyyy at localhost, I opened a terminal and entered the command
tail -f /var/log/messages, and got cannot open tail -f /var/log/messages
for reading: Permission denied

Someone suggested that I log on to a terminal as Su_-. I entered Su_- at
the command line and got: bash:Su_- command not found

Did they mean that I reboot, and enter Su_- at user name prompt?

How and where do I invoke Su_-?

I understand that it is not wise to make changes to wvdial logged on as
root!

I then entered wvdial and got
-->WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
-->Warning: section[Dialer Defaults] does not exist in wvdial.conf.
-->cannot open /dev/modem: Device or resource busy
-->cannot open /dev/modem: Device or resource busy
-->cannot open /dev/modem: Device or resource busy

I logged out, and then tried to log in, entering Su_- at Username

That did not work, so I logged in as root.

I then entereed wvdial, and got:
-->WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
-->Warning: section[Dialer Defaults] does not exist in wvdial.conf.
-->cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory
-->cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory
-->cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory

I then entered: /etc/wvdial.conf , and got:
bash: /etc/wvdial.conf: Permission denied
/etc/wvdial.conf
How can I execute the command /etc/wvdial.conf with out getting
permission denied? I am assuming that since that I am logged on as
root at localhost that I would have the permission.

I noticed at the login screen there is a button to select session. is
there a particular session that I should be logged on to?

Is there a way to log onto a terminal as super user, while I am logged
on as xxxx at localhost?