APT-GET Repositories for FC4

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 22:55:10 UTC 2005

On 6/28/05, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de> wrote:

> > > a) is wrong [see information in the mail you replied to],
> >
> > I referenced their position (April 2005, FC4-t2 release). Since I did
> > not install any of the test releases I cannot verity if Freshrpms or
> > Fedora.us had FC4 apt repos enabled at that time.
>
> It's end of June 2005, so argueing about information from April 2005 makes
> no sense.
>
> > > b) is correct.
> >
> > Let's see: "mirror-select" is no longer supported. sources.list and
> > sources.list.d are empty. A end-users are required to locate and
> > configure apt repos before use.
> >
> > What is the point of Extras providing this package if it is that
> > devoid of features?
>
> It is still software which can be used for accessing selfmade/local Apt
> repositories. It's just missing configuration of default repositories. Apt
> still has some fans. It may be supported less than before, kind of
> deprecated also because it doesn't support multilib installations. But
> where would be the point in dropping it completely without giving users a
> final chance to migrate to Yum? This is Extras, not Core. Apt could still
> be dropped completely around FC5, for instance. It could also be continued
> to be maintained in Extras as long as there is interest in that. Who knows?
> Maybe some developer picks it up as new maintainer. Options, speculations,
> whatever...
>
> > Perhaps they should just drop the package. The apt repos can then
> > provide a package that works immediately after installation.
>
> An empty sources list directory means any 3rd party repository could
> insert repository configuration files there.
>
> In a similar way as you argue about Apt, some users argue about media
> players. They say an audio player is useless if it cannot play back MP3
> files. But since only 3rd party repositories provide MP3 plugins for the
> audio player, that is no reason to drop the player from Core/Extras.

Your analogy is poor. The audio player has a .wav decoder and can play
audio CDs. What if the audio player required a separate plugin to play
an audio CD and the plugin was not available in either Core/Extras?
Would the audio player be included?  Without a repo Apt is useless.
The same goes for an audio player with no decorder(s).