'Nuther one

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jun 29 08:12:20 UTC 2005

jdow wrote:
> From: "John Summerfied" <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

{^_-}
>         That still leaves the issue of forcing the system to work
>         the way God intended (and every non-'IX and most 'IX
>         systems I have works.) I do a lot of work in console mode.
>         And I login from many systems often via roundabout paths.
>         So having them all agree with regards to the meaning of
>         0x08 and 0x7f characters is rather important. The answer
>         provided appears to be utterly useless. There are two maybe
>         salient bugzilla issues I can track down. But they do not
>         respond to the basic issue. Fedora Core 4 thinks these two
>         character codes do the wrong thing - EVERYWHERE in the system.
>         It makes working "my way" awfully difficult. And I am a person.
>         Therefore computers should adapt to me rather than the other
>         way around.

Well, you could try WBEL or one of the other clones of RHEL. Seems to me
those are the natural successors to RHL - foc and long support.

I had a Sarge system die last week (/dev/sda [the system] died, /dev/sdb
and /dev/hda were fine). My 2.4 Gb backup contained 300 Mb of
recoverables however I looked at it, so a quick rebuild was required.
Basically all I had was the the configuration from /etc and the rest of
/. /var was lost, /home was /dev/sdb and so okay.

Since this was my server, I couldn't network-install and the only
practical installable that came to hand was WBEL 4.  So,  quick
unscheduled conversion from Sarge to WBEL it was.

It went pretty well actually, though when I rebooted earlier CUPS got
broken by something.

There's some s*y bit of software thinks it can configure a CUPS server
better than I.

--

Cheers
John