can't add tun device to bridge as user

Terry Kemp tkemp at mer-med.com
Wed Jun 29 21:57:56 UTC 2005

When starting QEMU, I am having problems configuring the tun device
(tun0) as a user. Qemu runs the /etc/qemu-ifup script (as root?) which
configures and then adds the tun device to the bridged eth0 device.
It works as root, and worked in FC3 once I changed permissions on
the /dev/net/tun device.

[tkemp at systems-fc4 ~]$ ls -al /dev/net/tun
crw-rw-rw-  1 root qemu 10, 200 Jun 24 00:36 /dev/net/tun

[tkemp at systems-fc4 qvm]$ cat /etc/qemu-ifup
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/ifconfig $1 0.0.0.0 promisc up
/usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 $1
[tkemp at systems-fc4 qvm]$ ./startxp
Connected to host network interface: tun0
SIOCSIFADDR: Permission denied
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
can't add tun0 to bridge br0: Operation not permitted
/etc/qemu-ifup: could not launch network script

[tkemp at systems-fc4 ~]$ ls -al /usr/sbin/brctl
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root qemu 23912 Mar  3 03:36 /usr/sbin/brctl

I tried adding a 'qemu' group and adding myself to that but am not
having any luck. setenforce 0 doesn't help.

What is locking me out?

Terry