Some thoughts for the future

Richard Kelsch rich at csst.net
Thu Jun 30 01:12:03 UTC 2005

Ben Steeves wrote:

>On 6/29/05, Richard Kelsch <rich at csst.net> wrote:
>

>>*  How about the ability to clone the configured and working version on
>>my hardrive to be burned on a DVD (dual layer and blue beam makes this
>>possible) for easy portability?
>>

>How about something like Solaris' Live Upgrade / Flash Archive
>functionality.  The Solaris sysadms at work are always extolling its
>virtues -- basically it lets you have a running mirror of your OS on
>which to install patches, etc., and when you're sure everything is OK,
>you just have to reboot and voila, upgraded system.  Something broke?
>No problem -- just switch back to the old mirror and you're done.  Of
>course, you can do something similar in Linux with command line tools,
>but LU has a nice (and apparently functional) front-end.
>

>>*  Someone needs to make X more display hardware friendly.
>>

>This is being actively worked on by several projects...
>

>>*  Gnome and KDE are nice and such, but even Apple knew how to exploit
>>the display hardware to make a cool interface.  So much so that MS is
>>trying to copy and "improve" it for their next release.  There's more to
>>a gui now days than skinning.  Fedora needs a cooler looking GUI.
>>

>Here, I have to disagree.  Of the three operating systems/desktop
>environments I use daily, GNOME using the Clearlooks theme/engine is
>by far the cleanest, most attractive one.  I actually spend most of my
>day on a Tiger PowerBook, but the Mac interface, for all it's hardware
>accelerated smoothness, is a jumble of confusing and fractured UIs:
>the web browser has a different interface than the mail app, which
>both have a different interface than the productivity suite, all of
>which are different than the file browser and the PIM suite!  And to
>top it off, they added a whole new set of UI metaphors when they
>incorporated Dashboard and Spotlight.  The third operating system I
>use is Solaris 9, which is based on GNOME 2.0.2 -- which gives me an
>appreciation for how far GNOME has come!!!

Hold on there Nellie!  Oh please don't get me wrong about Gnome, Apple,
and MS.  In fact, I happen to love Gnome and I like how it works...so
far.  I also happen to like the OS X window manager of Apple.  Yes, the
Apple gui has flaws, as does Gnome, and MS.  I dislike the MS gui, but
at least they are making improvements.  The Gnome in some ways is very
fast, but still has some responsiveness issue too.  This is, perhaps,
more X related, but an issue nevertheless.

This may annoy the command line or simplicity die-hards out there, but
eye candy is desirable in a GUI.  Anyone saying to the contrary never
enjoyed the movie "Hackers."  On MS the company Stardock has the right idea.

For the record, I like Gnome...yes, I like Gnome.  However, like any
GUI, it can be much better.

>One thing I would love to see added to the base FC install, however,
>is Mono, specifically so Beagle will be installed out-of-the-box.
>After a few weeks with Spotlight, I became addicted to fast indexed
>desktop searches, and Beagle scratches the itch for FC4.

Now there's a cool suggestion.