freezing gnome operations and loss of some of the panel icons.

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Jun 30 03:11:09 UTC 2005

Richard E Miles <r.godzilla at comcast.net> wrote:

> I was playing a game of mahjonng in gnome when the dialog buttons
> suddenly became unresponsive. I hit the x in the main windo dialog and
> it said that the window was not responding and if I wanted to force a
> kill. I said yes and it killed the window. I then hit ctrl-alt-f1 to
> get back to the main login shell and noticed that sox was not
> responding to sound requests. I then went back to X with alt-f7 and
> noticed that the top panel was missing the main pulldown icon plus
> some others. I know the system has been updated with new panel
> software and am wondering if this is causing the problem. Has anyone
> else noticed theses kinds of things happening on their system? comments?
> -- Richard E Miles Federal Way Wa. USA Registered linux user 46097

The funny thing is that I had the exact opposite behavior after
installing the ATI drivers until the gnome-panel update yesterday.  When
I would bring up X, the panels would cover about three-fourths their
typical length of the width of the screen and be blank.  Nothing seemed
to coax them back to life although they still would auto-hide.  I ended
up figuring out that killing gnome-panel so it would restart solved the
problem.  I was about to investigate further when the update to
gnome-panel made the problem go away.

Cheers,
Dave