Some thoughts for the future

Mike McEldowney mmceldowney at deltaregional.com
Thu Jun 30 15:54:02 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:

> I agree with the sentiment about diversity. No one size fits all. I
> like the
> way Firefox is more adaptable than IE. More of the features can be
> "customized". But you know something? Not all features even deserve
> to exist. IMO, tabbed browsing is one of them. Not the best feature ever
> dreamed up. I'd like all the features to be configurable, even
> disableable.
> It would be nice NOT TO HAVE TABS AT ALL.

I myself LOVE tabs in my browser.  I believe that tabbed browsing is one
of the best features ever developed in a browser.  I also use tabbed
consoles extensively on my machine.  Why would I want multiple windows
of the same application taking up system resources when I can tab them
and navigate faster with less system strain?   Not to mention that when
I want the console or browser out of the way to do something else, I
don't have to minimize multiple windows, just one.

> So, it seems to me, that your own prejudices are showing a little bit.

<flame on>

Really?  And yours aren't?  Customization allows us to change the
software to meet our specific wants and prejudices.

(snip)

> I find that I'm frequently
> accidentally doing things with the mouse because I can't just disable
> "features".

And I bet you would prefer your car ran on rails so that you'd stop
running into things after you disable that stupid steering wheel.

<flame off>

All that said, I do agree that turning features off should also be an
option.  If you don't like tabs, you should be able to turn them off.
If you don't want to click with your middle button, you should be able
to turn it off.  If you can program and can donate the time, you should
consider helping add those options to those projects.

Have a great day!

--
Mike McEldowney
Information Systems Director / Information Security Officer