Some thoughts for the future

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 21:46:57 UTC 2005

On 6/30/05, Richard Kelsch <rich at csst.net> wrote:
> Also,
> the "function over form" perspective is one of the reasons why Linux is not
> marketable to the average computer user; and never will be until programmers
> finally get together with artists and designers.  Both would be surprised
> what the end result can do.

You mean like this? http://www.gnome.org/~seth/blog/

Not everyone who works on GNOME (specifically, or Open Source / Free
Software in general) is a hardcore coder.  There are designers,
graphic artists, usability experts, and yes, even documentation
writers.

Just because you can't code is no reason not to get involved.  I do
get irritated when people respond to feature requests with "get
coding" -- it's arrogant, silly, and in most cases rarely uttered by
actual project coders.  Making a feature request (a good one, not just
saying "Why does project X suck so much?  Fix it!", but something with
use cases, user stories, the lot) is just as valid a form of
participation as sitting down and checking out the code.

IMHO.  YMMV.
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves