Strange email?

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 17:03:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:53:28 -0500, Gene Heskett
<gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> I received this email from my FC2 box this morning.  What can be made
> of this?
> Site list is missing: mailman
> -------------------------
> I've not setup mailman to do anything, didn't even know it was
> installed, (everything else apparently is using sendmail) but having
> it suddenly decide to mail me my passwords would appear to be one
> hell of a security breach.
>
> The only "new" software installed recently have been inhouse built
> versions of the utils that come with an pcHDTV-3000 card, and the
> boinc/einstein stuffs.

The same thing will happen on the first of next month too. Mailman
(apparently by default) sends out a password reminder message to all
members of a list at the beginning of each month.

This message is the result of the cron job that failed because mailman
is not configured with any lists. It couldn't find the lists to
process password reminders for, so the script died and since you are
the admin, you got the message about the cron job failure.

--

David
Registered Linux User 383030 (since everyone else was doing it 8-)