network query; route command

Shelagh Manton oneida at tpg.com.au
Wed Mar 2 09:32:18 UTC 2005

Hello,
I've been reading up on networks and comparing what the NAG from TDLP has to
say and what my computer settings look like. Um... I did find a few
differences (problems?). I will be upgrading to ADSL sometime soon and wanted
to be more prepared as my ISP don't know nothing about Linux.

One thing which worries me is when I ask the route command to add or del a
network or IP address I get this message.

SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

or SIOCDELRT: No such process

When I ask it for information "route -e" I get back a table which includes an
IP address I did not give it, and is not from My ISP. And of course I can't
delete it using the "route del 163.254.0.0" command

Shelagh