System surprise. How to Respond? -THANKS

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 18:46:07 UTC 2005

Robin Laing wrote:

> David Curry wrote:
>
>> Greetings all.
>> I run a one user, desktop FC2 system.  I noticed some time after
>> 10:20 - 10:30 p.m. EST yesterday the system started reporting 2 users
>> logged in.
>>
>> $ who -H reported
>>
>> NAME     LINE         TIME         COMMENT
>> dcurry   :0           Mar  2 11:35
>> dcurry   pts/1        Mar  2 11:47 (:0.0)
>>
>> Any ideas for explaining the second user?  The second user is
>> persisting through system restart.
>>

> If you have a terminal window open, it will show as a user (pts/1)
> rlaing   tty1         Mar  2 06:53
> rlaing   pts/0        Mar  2 10:58 (:0.0) - New window to test your
>                                              problem.
>
> Now with two terminal windows open.
> rlaing   tty1         Mar  2 06:53
> rlaing   pts/0        Mar  2 10:58 (:0.0)
> rlaing   pts/1        Mar  2 11:00 (:0.0)

Robin, Marius - Thanks for your responses. I learn a little something
everyday! ;-)

Background to my question.   Yesterday morning I switched my screensaver
setup to a specific selection, "Fontglide", instead of random choice
selection.  There after  when the screensaver kicked in it gave
continuing readouts from the system monitor - Kernel in operation, time
booted, time lapsed from boot, number of users, system load averages.
These readouts reported i user until 10:20 - 10:30 p.m. when it started
reporting 2 users.  At that point, i used
$ who -H

and got readouts like those reported to the list.