Intel 82801DB AC'97 audio controler issue

Nat Gross natgross.rentalsystems at verizon.net
Thu Mar 3 14:37:45 UTC 2005

Asmir Murselovic wrote:

>After a week of trying to fix this problem I'm still
>wondering if anyone managed to get around or fix this
>sound problem?
>I have Intel 82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 audio controler,
>which doesn't work under 2.6.10-1.9_FC2.i686 kernel,
>but works under 2.6.5-1.358/kernel.

Hi. Since I have the exact same sound hardware  and problem(!) I elected
to reply to this thread instead of starting a new one. EXCEPT, in my
case sound never worked from the original fc3 kernel install,
2.6.9-1.667, as well as the 2.6.10-1.766_FC3 kernel. I have followed the
advice regarding muting the headphone and line jack, but still no go.
Although the test program correctly detects the sound device, the test
never produced any sound. Also, during boot, when it inits 'audio' a
static click comes thru on the speakers, and the log shows [ok], but
again in reality no meaningful sound ever came out of this system (under
Linux).
Here is my modprobe.conf:
alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 dmfe
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias usb-controller uhci-hcd