FC3 max memory

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 3 15:46:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, James Wilkinson wrote:

> Alexander Lazarevich wrote:
>> [root at blah root]# uname -a
>> Linux blah 2.6.10-1.741_FC3smp #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 16:58:29 EST 2005 x86_64
>> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Hardware is Tyan 2885 mobo, two opteron 244 procs in it. Right now the
>> system has 4GB of memory installed:
>>
>> [root at hofmann license]# cat /proc/meminfo
>> MemTotal:      3607440 kB
>>
>> The mobo takes up to 16GB of memory. But when I add more memory, 4 more
>> 1GB dimms, 8GB total, same exact type of memory that is already in the
>> system (DDR ECC Reg PC2700), the kernel panics and doesn't boot. The error
>> is:
>>
>> <0> kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task
>>
>> It dies just before the audit init takes place, so the kernel hardly boots
>> at all, if even.
>>
>> Any idea what the maximum memory is for FC3 with the kernel I have? I
>> tried looking for a bigmem kernel but isn't large memory support built in?
>> I'm pretty sure support is for much more memory than 4GB. Do I have to
>> recompile a special kernel though?
>>
>> Does anyone have more than 4GB of memory in a FC3 system and NOT have
>> kernel panics? What is your kernel?
>
> AFAIK the x86-64 limit at the moment is 1 TB = 1024 GB. And that should
> be there for all kernels.

Excellent, thanks.

> Something is very wrong there. And I suspect hardware. What does
> memtest86 say? Can you try a bootable CD? Can you just try the new
> memory?

The memory works just fine in another opteron system I have. That system
also runs FC3, same kernel, and it see's 8GB no problem. Same hardware
too, except the mobo is the tyan 2882S, which is very similar.

I think it's something in the system, some app. To troublshoot, I'm
putting in a new drive, installing fresh to it, and will install apps one
by one to see when the problem comes back. If the kernel panic is there
from the start of the fresh install, then I've got real problems, as that
would make no sense at all...

Alex