System running slow since install of KDE

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Fri Mar 4 12:15:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 03:53 -0800, Jared Buck wrote:
> I installed the KDE environment onto my install of FC3 a couple days ago
> just to see if I liked it.  Since that install, whenever I log into
> GNOME, many of my applications (particularly up2date and web browsing)
> run very slowly.  Is this a problem with having KDE installed?

   Nah, it shouldn't be; no more than having Gnumeric and SameGnome
installed.  But it's very likely an issue dns, or possibly of up2date's
setup.  Show us your /etc/hosts file...

> If it is, how can I remove KDE from my FC3 installation?  add/remove
> programs apparently doesn't allow you to remove KDE from the machine.  I
> would like my programs running fast again, and I think KDE is the
> culprit.

    You really shouldn't have to; very, very little (if any) of that
code is even running.  Even if you run, say, licq which uses the QT
libraries, that's all that gets loaded.

    But if you really want to dump it, I'd suggest "rpm -ve qt" it'll
remove a lot of stuff.
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller