Hardware Requirements

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 4 16:41:27 UTC 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:31:23 -0500
William Pitts <Bill_Pitts at unc.edu> wrote:

> I am planning on installing Fedora Core on a IBM ThinkPad (single boot).
> What are the minimum hardware requiremants?

You might look here:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/

Also, if you'd posted your specific model of Thinkpad, you might get a
better response.  I run Fedora Core 3 on a Thinkpad X20, a Thinkpad X22,
and a Thinkpad 240.  I've got Fedora Core 1 installed on an even older
Thinkpad 770Z which I don't use much anymore (but could handle FC3 if I
wanted to bother installing it).

Practically speaking, most Thinkpads made since 1999/2000 should work
with Fedora Core 3, provided you upgrade the RAM on the older machines.
You'll also benefit by upgrading the hard drive to a 5400 RPM model,
especially if you ever use Open Office.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!