printer isn't recognized after reboot

Arkajyoti Misra arkajyoti at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 07:42:03 UTC 2005

I am using a HP LaserJet 1100 printer with my Toshiba laptop. The
relevant entry in
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf is as follows:

class: PRINTER
bus: PARALLEL
detached: 0
device: lp0
driver: unknown
desc: "HP LaserJet 1100 Printer"
pnpmodel: HP LaserJet 1100
pnpmfr: Hewlett-Packard
pnpmodes: MLC,PCL,PJL
pnpdesc: HP LaserJet 1100 Printer

The problem is every time I reboot the machine kudzu says that the
printer configuration has been removed. Whatever I choose to do
(keep/remove/nothing) about the configuration it has the same effect:
the printer does not work.
I have found a dirty solution that works. What I have to do is to go
to the bios setup and restore the default settings (even if I do not
change anything). If I do that then kudzu recognizes the printer and
asks for configuring it and everything works. Is there anything wrong
with the parallel port configuration? What could be the reason for the
problem and what would be a permanent solution?

arko.