Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

mark at mark.mielke.cc mark at mark.mielke.cc
Sat Mar 5 15:54:10 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 08:58:31AM -0500, Tom Ryan wrote:
> Which by the way is exactly what Windows does, and its been known to cause
> quite a few problems for us especially in concert with our catalyst
> switches. The default setup for Windows is to bring up the login screen
> before the network is ready (stupid!), since windows caches the network
> credentials (if logging into a domain), users can login AND login scripts
> will not process correctly (network drives won't mount, etc)..

This doesn't happen to us. Perhaps it is a configuration issue?

> its just another ms trick that doesn't work in the real world.

It's a trick that *does* work, quite successfully, and one that Linux
could implement (and has a few working implementations of).

Even if Windows did reliably fail as you suggest for all users (as I
said - never happens to us, and we do use login scripts, and require
network logins), it doesn't invalidate the approach. It just means that
their dependency analysis was not complete. For network logins, they
only need to ensure that the network login startup processes execute
before login is allowed. It has no effect on the other processes that
may not be required for login.

Cheers,
mark

--