Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Sat Mar 5 19:18:10 UTC 2005

On Saturday 05 March 2005 11:27, M. Fioretti wrote:

> it keeps thousands of non-geeks users
> wasting electricity and leaving holes open because a longer
> uptime seems cool to have.

While this may certainly be an issue in your neck of the woods the
electric costs for a large percentage of the PC using public are
far less than the annoyances of having much of the routine
maintenance tasks like, pre-linking, back-ups, etc. being done in
the background while you're trying to do other, more productive,
work.

Here, for example, electric rates average around $90.00 per 1000
KW-hrs.

http://www.puc.state.tx.us/electric/rates/RESbill/Rate_Example.pdf

My laptop would consume about 54 KW-hr of power a month if left on
24/7. This means that it would cost me a little less than $5.00 a
month ( and a good percentage of that would be at my employer's
office ).

It's all relative to your situation, there aren't any absolutes.
The money saved by turning it off at night might pay for a couple
of trips to McDonald's for burgers during the year.

Regards, Mike Klinke