Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

mark at mark.mielke.cc mark at mark.mielke.cc
Sat Mar 5 19:45:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:25:57AM -0800, Brian Mury wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-03 at 10:39 -0500, mark at mark.mielke.cc wrote:
> > For Linux being more stable? As soon as I add certain modules into my
> > kernel, the required reboot time drops to about once a week - not
> > really much better than a Windows box - the Windows box which also has
> > such modules installed into the kernel, causing an equivalent problem.
> Which modules?

The #1 for me these days is the ClearCase MVFS module.

Any time a kernel allows third party modules to be linked in, it's asking
for instability. It's the primary killer for Windows from my experience,
and Linux is only barely affected as most people use the standard modules,
which, similar to Windows, are fairly well tested.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark at mielke.cc / markm at ncf.ca / markm at nortel.com     __________________________