Simple Routing using FC2/3

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Mar 6 13:41:29 UTC 2005

Todd Wohlwend wrote:

> This should be a simple task.  I need to use a FC2/3 as a router.  (I
> have done this in RH7.2 with no problems)  Here is my senerio :
>
> Fedora C3 (soon to be router - I hope)
> External Interface 172.16.176.152 / 20
> Internal Interface 192.168.213.152 / 24
> No GW on internal
> net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 set in sysctl.conf file (rebooted of-course)
>
> Internal PC
> IP = 192.168.213.253 / 24
> GW = 192.168.213.254
>
> I can ping the 192.168.213.254 and 172.16.176.152 from the internal
> PC, but not any device in the 172.17.176 network.
>
> This is a full install of FC3.  iptables is default.  I have even
> disabled iptables to test. Still no luck.........I need a simple
> solution.  I do not want to disable iptables and install another
> product.....like firestarter or enable (masquerading) NAT.
>
> There must be a simple solution?
>
> Todd Wohlwend
> Computer Information Systems Instructor
> Southeast Technical Institute
> Todd_Wohlwend at hotmail.com or Todd.Wohlwend at southeasttech.com

Read the book "Linux Firewalls" by Robert Ziegler. It is a little
outdated now, but he publishes scripts in the book which show how to do
routing. I do simple routing which is similar to yours and use the
scripts Ziegler provides to make it happen.

The book "Linux Routing" by  Brockmeier et al may also be a little
outdated but gives the most complete treatment of routing that I've read.

Bob Cochran