Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Mar 7 01:31:27 UTC 2005

On 03/05/2005 10:05:37 PM, Jeff Vian wrote:

> The argument about cost of electricity may be valid, but just as
> valid
> is the other argument that hard drives (and other hardware items)
> fail
> most often when they are power cycled.  Some drives will run 3 to 5
> years if never powered down (as done in server environments).  The
> same
> drives are often known to fail in as little as 2 years if they are
> daily
> (or more often) started and stopped.

What about in California where in 2000 we had a power consumption
problem that resulted in people physically dying when rolling blackouts
knocked out their cooling on a very hot day?

Power needs to be conserved as much as possible, and I sure as hell
would much rather buy a new hard drive a little more often than be part
of a power drain that causes rolling blackouts to be necessary.

Most people could cut their power consumption in half if they really
wanted to. Those that can't usually already are power consumption
conscious.

Yes, the rolling blackouts in California haven't been quite the problem
with the last two years or so, but what will happen when gas prices
drive people to purchasing hybrid cars?

I apologize for going off topic - but energy conservation, while it
shouldn't be a religion - should also not be ignored.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/