Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Mar 7 09:22:52 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 23:42 -0800, Skunk Worx wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:

> >>i've been working on a windows XP box, trying to figure out why it
> >>grinds the hard drive all day, on every mouse movement, while linux
> >>plugged into the same machine (same model model/size hard drive
> >>swapped in) does not.
> >

> > My instant, gut reaction is that your XP box has a keylogger
> > installed, and that it logging every keypress and mouse move.
> > Get yourself a good snooper utility and see what it says about that.
> > It is un-natural, even for a windows box.
> >

> interesting replies (i've read all of them, only responding to one) but
> this is not my box, belongs to an elderly person, not sure why they
> should have to go through this.
>
> windows is really kind of a poor solution in general if it is so easy to
> hide keyloggers, etc. (as a casual google shows).

I agree, and it IS easy to do.  Processes can be hidden from the task
manager so they are never seen.

> also not sure why i should have to "dig" for any swap settings, or why
> they would be wrong in the first place.

You should not have to dig. that was the comment made about the
difficulty with Windows.  All versions less than NT/2K use dynamic swap
file by default, and as a result cause fragmentation of the swap file
after a period of time as it dynamically grows.  Only those experienced
with the default and how to fix it can avoid the inevitable slowdown in
performance.