Wanted: a "Save energy, be more secure" howto

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:33:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:42:29 -0700, Robin Laing
<Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
> M. Fioretti wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > 2) Is there a one stop howto about how to:
> >        make your (Fedora) PC save as much energy as possible and/or
> >                  turn all networking off automatically, as soon as
> >                  no interactive processes are on (maybe including
> >                  ftp downloads)
> >        email...) when the user is back to the keyboard.
> >
> > I know that this is possible, but it would really great to have
> > everything in one place for non technical users, those who would get
> > the greatest savings and extra security for this because they use the
> > computer sparingly. Maybe packaged so that "if you just install this
> > one script so and so, it will take care of everything automatically"

I want to add a question here. There's been a long time since i last
used windows. But I do remember an option, I think it was called
"hibernate", that would save the current state of the computer and
then power it down. The next time I needed to use it, I just had to
hit the power button and it would quickly "wake up" to where it was
before. That seems an option halfway between turn off and always on.
Is there anything similar for Linux?

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680