x86_64 install

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 20:02:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 07:54:47 -0800, Jay Scherrer <jay at scherrer.com> wrote:
> I tried installing Fedora core 3 version x86_64 on a new
> Laptop: Asus Z8100
> with a mobile AMD 64 memory is 1 gig.
>
> The install went ok but after logging in the system it seemed very
> slow. I hadn't yumed it yet untill I try the install for FC3 x386
> The install of FC3 x386 went smooth and everything runs faster.
> When I config cpan it detects my system as a dual proccesor.
> Now I am thinking of yum updating FC3 x386 then ugrade to FC3 x86_64
> because during the initial install there were several files that
> remained compiled for the x386.
>
> Has anyone else tried FC3 x86_64 or is this the wrong list?
>
> Jay Scherrer

Hi Jay,
I have installed FC3 x86_64 and so have several other people here.
There is a dedicated AMD64 list which has a lot less traffic:
but you are welcome to ask questions here though that pertain to Fedora.
I don't think you can upgrade from the x86 version to the x86_64
version.  I could be wrong, but I don't see the point.  Did you
overwrite your initial x86_64 install?  If not, you should definitely
update.  How are you determining fast/slow?  I don't understand cpan
detecting a dual processor setup, because I very much doubt you have
two CPUs in your laptop.  The x86_64 version has compatability
libraries for running 32-bit programs on the 64-bit platform if that
is what you are talking about with the last sentence of your first
paragraph.
Have I answered any of your questions?  I wasn't able to get a good
grasp of what you were trying to find out.

Jonathan