Problems with the installation graphics on Fedora 3

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Mar 7 20:26:44 UTC 2005

Margaret Doll wrote:

> I downloaded and tested the cds for Fedora 3.
>
> When I do an initial install on my test computer, the graphics go
> haywire when I get to the point where I want to choose the software to
> install. Portions of the graphics don't show at all. Old portions of
> the graphics do not disappear. I reach the state where I can't proceed.
>
> I have downloaded and recorded the first of the cds a couple of times.
> Both copies ran through the tests on the test computer prior to the
> attempt to install.
>
> The test computer has run Fedora 2, RH 3 EL, RH2.1 EL and RH WS 3
> without problems.
> It is a Dell Optiplex GX 110.
>
> I maintain a dozen systems that run Fedora and about that many running
> the RH Enterprise systems.
>
> Is there a fix?

What graphics card is the machine using? I've used Optiplex machines
(but never with Linux) and I think the GX 110 is really old. So it would
have an older graphics card...maybe a FireGL card...and Core 3 might not
have a driver for that. I'm not sure if you can pass video parameters at
boot time. Maybe you can do a text install and configure graphics later?

A handy trick is to go through the process of installing Fedora Core 2.
Then check the output of left-hand alt F4 (or is it alt F3? alt F5?) to
find out what graphics driver was inserted by anaconda. That will be the
driver you want to use when installing Fedora Core 3. Check to see if
that driver is provided for anaconda in Fedora Core 3. If not, change
the x configuration file after doing a text mode installation to use the
right driver.

Bob Cochran