DVD-RAM on FC3

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 7 23:53:09 UTC 2005

Peter Arremann wrote:
> On Monday 07 March 2005 13:20, Markku Kolkka wrote:
>
>>Does anybody know how to format a DVD-RAM disc with FAT32 in FC3? If I try
>>to format the whole disc without partitioning, I get:
>>$ /sbin/mkdosfs -F 32 -n DVDRAM1 -v -I /dev/hdc
>>mkdosfs 2.8 (28 Feb 2001)
>>mkdosfs: unable to get drive geometry for '/dev/hdc'
>>
>>If I partition the disc, then fdisk -l shows the partition but there's no
>>/dev entry for it:
>>$ /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hdc
>>Huom: sektorikoko on 2048 (ei 512)
>>
>>Levy /dev/hdc: 4580 Mt, 4580769792 tavua
>>255 päätä, 63 sektoria/ura, 139 sylinteriä
>>Yksiköt = 16065 * 2048 = 32901120 -tavuiset sylinterit
>>    Laite Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>>/dev/hdc1               1         139     4465944    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
>>
>>$ /sbin/mkdosfs -F 32 -n DVDRAM1 -v -I /dev/hdc1
>>mkdosfs 2.8 (28 Feb 2001)
>>/dev/hdc1: No such file or directory
>
> Did you try working with a sector size of 2048?  (-S parameter on mkdosfs)
>
> I know a lot of devices (like MO disks and most DVD-RAM)  work with 2k sectors
> rather than 512 as is the default assumption a lot of times.

CD-ROMs also use a 2048-byte sector size.  AFAIK, only disks actually
use 512-byte sector sizes.  Well, way back when, Sun used a 512-byte
sector size on CDs, too (Sun SPARC SLC, etc.).  I never did figure out
why.  Fortunately, I had some old NEC Multispin CD drives that could be
jumpered either way, so I put on a switch.
-           Denial.  It ain't just a river in Egypt anymore!         -