Problems with the installation graphics on Fedora 3

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 17:50:28 UTC 2005

Margaret Doll wrote:
> When I do an initial install on my test computer, the graphics go
> haywire when I get to the point where I want to choose the software to
> install.  Portions of the graphics don't show at all.  Old portions of
> the graphics do not disappear.  I reach the state where I can't proceed.
>
> I have downloaded and recorded the first of the cds a couple of times.
> Both copies ran through the tests on the test computer prior to the
> attempt to install.
>
> The test computer  has run Fedora 2, RH 3 EL, RH2.1 EL and RH WS 3
> without problems.
> It is a Dell Optiplex GX 110.
>
> I maintain a dozen systems that run Fedora and about that many running
> the RH Enterprise systems.
>
> Is there a fix?

At the very first prompt, two seconds after the computer boots, enter
"linux text" (without the quotes). Install in text mode: you don't miss
much.

When you've installed, reboot and get to a text console (e.g. press
Ctrl-Atl-F1). Log in as root and run
yum update

It will take some time: hopefully you aren't on dial-up.

A number of graphics systems need their X drivers updated before they
will work properly.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | They say that every cloud has a silver lining, which
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | must be a bit alarming for airline pilots...