Turning off items that load on boot

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 8 18:52:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 13:22:40 -0500
Neal Wilkinson <forums.lists at comcast.net> wrote:

> Is there a GUI that does this? I have 384mb of ram and my machine sits
> with 13mb free when the desktop loads. As you might imagine this is
> sluggish. I'm quite sure I have a bunch of stuff running that I can
> shutoff but haven't figured out how in Linux yet. Where should I start?

Running system-config-services from a terminal window will show you what
services you have set to run at whatever runlevel you're currently using,
along with a short description of what those services do.

By the way, if you're using the "free" command to look at the amount of
memory free, look at the second line of output to see how much memory you
actually still  have available.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!