System-config-packages: (Was Re: Looking for two files)

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 00:12:12 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 17:36:20 -0500, David Curry <dsccable at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>William Hooper wrote:
>>

>>>System-config-packages doesn't work reliably after you have install any
>>>updates.  Use your favorite depsolver (apt, yum up2date) instead.
>>>

>>The fact that William stated above has been noted several times on the list.
>>
>>Question:  Why has it remained true?   Is an update to correct the
>>problem underway?
>>

>fc4 will replace this with a new utility called pup which was also act
>as a frontend to yum. read fedora-config-list archives for details

Thanks for this response, Rahul.  I am responding to the information
after visiting fedora-config-list archives and conducting quite a few
searches for messages dealing with pup.  I asked for searches on all
sections, on keywords, on title, and on body.  I asked for searches of
the entire archive and for searches on a couple of individual months.
In every case the result was the same - 0 hits.  I searched on pup + yum
and again 0 hits on pup with a few hits on yum.

I googled "pup front-end for yum" and got lots of hits, including some
news reader services like gmane (I did not look on gmane itself) where I
was able to retrieve and read some fedora-config-list messages posted in
January 2005.  Then I returned to redhat fedora-config-list archive
page, selected January 2005 display by thread and searched for the
specific subject thread I had just read.  You guessed it!! Zero hits
even though it was the seventh message presented as I scrolled down the
page.

I will repeat this information under a new thread in an attempt to save
a lot of people from frustration and wasting time.  The Red Hat archive
search engine is broken, broken, broken.