SLOW portmapper startup (when using NIS)

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Wed Mar 9 16:20:19 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 08:24, Toralf Lund wrote:
>

>>A problem with all our Red Hat/Fedora setups:
>>
>>Boot delays for a loooong time at this stage:
>>
>>Starting portmapper:
>>
>>I suspect this is related to the fact that we have
>>
>>passwd:     nis files
>>

>In most cases you probably want files before nis.  This allows you to
>override nis if needed.

I should perhaps have said that the order is set up like that for a
reason. I need nis to override files because I want to have "backup"
accounts with different config that can be used only when NIS and other
networks services are for some reason unavailable.

Whether that is a good idea is perhaps debatable, but even if I was able
to change the order, I would really like to know what is going on.